Are you a seasoned pro who wants to experience something new or are you just now intending to venture into the world of design?
Regardless of your intentions, an adjustable dress form will be among the top tools you will require to pin all those unique and fantastic designs you have created.Top 8 Best Adjustable Dress Forms in 2021:
- Dritz Twin-Fit
- Singer Dress Form
- Dritz Sew-You
- PGM Professional Missy
- Roxy Display Half Body
- Male Dress Form
- Dritz 20000 Little Miss
Remember, your dress form will always be the ideal shape to develop or hang your projects and it won’t complain when you stick pins!
Choosing a dress form can be challenging. Not only do their prices vary greatly, but they are also considerably different from one another. Furthermore, there are hundreds of dress forms in the market today; something that makes it hard to decide on the one you need.
Now, this is where we come in.
In this article, we will cover a wide range of dress forms from male to female to even children’s dress forms. After going through the featured dress form reviews, you can simply pick the one that is perfect for you.
Best Adjustable Dress Form For Sewing in 2021
Best Adjustable Dress Forms
For obvious reasons, most sewers and designers would love to have adjustable dress forms. This is majorly due to the fact that it allows the user to constantly adjust a few inches here and there where necessary.
For any designer looking to add a little versatility to their work, adjustable dress forms will always be the best option. Below is a list of top adjustable dress forms that will help you save time and make the right choice when choosing a dress form for home sewers.
1. Dritz My Double Deluxe Adjustable Dress Form
Let’s start by mentioning that the Dritz My Double Deluxe Dress Form is the best adjustable dress form in overall.
- Fully adjustable
- It is durable despite being made mostly of plastic
- Relatively cheaper compared to other dress forms
- Poses some difficulty when getting pants on and off
- Fiddly dials that some say feel cheap
The first thing you will notice about this dress form is that it is extremely easy to assemble. To do so, you have to specifically insert the feet of the tripod into the stand before attaching the stand pole into the torso pole.
However, the process is not hard, and no strength is required either.
Since some people find the dial on the My Double dress form to be fiddly and a bit awkward to adjust, it is advisable to put on a pair of rubber dishwashing type gloves before you start the whole assembly process. This is just to avoid scrapping up your fingers.
- Dimensions: 33 – 41 inches (bust); 26 – 34 inches (waist); 36 – 44 inches (hips); 14 – 16 inches (back waist length); 13.5 inches (neck)
- Longer pole to accommodate taller women, wedding dresses and evening gowns.
- Off-set center pole for hanging pants.
Considering that its shell is made of lightweight plastic and its stand is made of aluminum, the high quality of this dress form does not come as a surprise.
Ultimately, one thing is for certain; this Dritz My Double Deluxe dress form will make your sewing process considerably easier.
2. Dritz Twin-Fit Adjustable Dress Form
With its tons of positive customer reviews, this is the best dress form for home sewers, especially for people who are looking for a plus size dress form.
- It is stable since it is installed on a tripod and reinforced by a sturdy metal
- It is very easy to assemble and disassemble
- Plus size women can use it for design
- Turning the knobs is somehow difficult.
While the Dritz Twin-Fit is relatively cheaper than most adjustable professional dress forms, it still works pretty fine. Other than having efficient adjustable dials, it has a soft outer covering that holds up surprisingly well over time.
Apart from the fact that it is made of high-quality material, putting it together is also quite straight forward.
In fact, a lot of customers have mentioned being able to put it together in less than 15 minutes. Many have attributed this to this dress form’s highly detailed instruction manual.
- Available in small, medium, large, full-figure and petit sizes
- Made up of foam-backed nylon cover
- It comes with 12 auto-set body dials with adjustable body height and neck
The Dritz Twin-Fit Dress Form is the best dress form to use when you intend to design or sew female clothes. Due to its expanding mechanism and a wide selection of sizes, you are able to select a model of any type regardless of body type.
I personally recommend this dress form if you intend to work on more than just the basic sewing projects.
3. Singer Adjustable Dress Form
The Singer Adjustable dress form is among the best-selling dress forms in the market. If you are on a tight budget and want to get an excellently functioning dress form, this would definitely be your best bet.
- Easy to adjust the dimensions of the dress form
- A hem gauge is included and marks the hemline for skirts and dresses
- There is room for pattern adjustments before cutting, better fittings, alterations
- It is difficult to install since the manual comes with vague instructions
It is one of the best adjustable dress forms I have come across at such a low price. It allows you to make all kinds of alterations and pattern adjustments, thanks to its 13 different adjustment knobs.
Other than being fully customizable it ensures that you work with accurate measurement.
However, some customers have left a number of negative reviews for this product, citing difficulties in making it work. For sure, the instructions provided are somehow vague and confusing.
For best results, try opening it from the bottom up. You will still have to play around to figure out everything, but once it is done, it will turn out to be a great dress form.
- Made of Foam-Backed Fabric Exterior efficient for pinning dresses, skirts, tops, and patterns
- Height Adjustment that lets you customize the dress form to your height in a snap
- A Hem Guide that allows you to pin or mark garments for even hems
- Four leg metal base for extra durability and stability
The Singer adjustable dress form is a great choice for those who are building your sewing room on a budget. However, you will definitely have to read up on the sewing help guide to learn how to use it in the long run.
On the flip side, I am sure you will be pleased with how efficient it turns out to be once everything is set and done.
4. Dritz Sew-You Adjustable Dressform
- Good quality build
- Smooth dial action
- Thin foam
The Dritz Sew-You Dress form is popular for its affordability. In fact, its price seems almost too good to be true. Despite being cheap, it is not limited in terms of adjustability.
Imagine being able to adjust its height up to 6 feet tall? You will admit such adjustability is very hard to come by in this price range.
Also, it comes with a durable and sturdy base, unlike many dress forms in this price range. I am pretty sure that this dress form could even stand up a super heavy wedding dress really well. Honestly, the value it offers at this price point is amazing.
- Adjustable neck and body height
- 11 key adjustments
- Plastic 4-leg base
The Dritz Sew-You Dress Form is ideal for home sewers and beginners who don’t want to spend a lot on high-end dress forms. It is stable and can hold all kinds of garments regardless of the fabric’s weight.
Best Professional Dress Forms
A professional dress form is similar to a mannequin and is usually used by tailors and designers to fit and pin clothes.
Are you wondering why designers and tailors prefer professional dress forms?
Well, it is because they are made of industry-grade materials that are extremely sturdy and durable. Also, they are covered with high-quality materials that allow draping and pinning.
Here are some of the best professional dress forms available in the market:
5. PGM Professional Missy Dress Form
- Natural body shape
- Allows you to easily adjust the height by stepping down on the foot pedal
- Not everyone can afford it (Expensive)
The PGM Professional Missy Dress Form is one of the most important design fitting tools any sewer or designer could dream of. Since it is a representation of the natural body shape, it provides the perfect fit possible for a garment design.
It comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes, with more realistic proportions compared to display dress forms. It is efficient in a busy workplace as it comes with wheels instead of a tripod stand.
You can easily move it, or get it out of the way without necessarily touching the clothes.
Coupled with other endlessly useful features like cage bottoms, collapsible shoulders, and adjustable heights, this dress form allows you to get on with your work just perfectly. This dress form is definitely your ticket to advanced sewing.
- PGM Dress Form with collapsible shoulders
- High-density material that can strongly hold pins when draping
- 100% pure linen-covered, not by cotton fabric or other mixed fabric
- 100% Aluminum Base with Lifetime Warranty
- With bump out side seams to enable you to feel them when draping with fabric
- Size: 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20
With its aluminum base and pure linen covering, the overall quality of this PGM Professional Missy Dress Form can’t be questioned. Ultimately, it’s definitely worth trying.
6. Roxy Display Professional Female Half Body Dress Form
- Very sturdy (stuffed with layers of paper mache)
- Surface pin-able and height-adjustable
- No product instructions
This is a professional female half body dress form by Roxy Display Inc.
It is made of high-quality fine linen and features collapsible shoulders that provide room for minor adjustments during fittings and alterations.
Other than having a pin-able surface and an adjustable height, this dress form also boasts of a cast iron base with wheel brakes.
- Cast-iron base allows for height adjustments with the push of the pedal
- Adjustable up & down
- Comes with hip shape
- Exterior Material: Linen
- Interior Material: Paper Mache and Fiberglass
- Size: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
While the fact that this dress form may be difficult to assemble at first, once you get used to it, you realize that it is quite efficient. This Roxy Display dress form is definitely worth a shot.
Best Male Dress Form
7. Male Dress Form by Adjustoform
- Easy to assemble
- Torso can be lengthened when a longer back measurement is required
- Its full shoulders are life-like and essential for a better hang to sleeves
- Not the sturdiest model out there
The male dress form by Adjustoform is made of strong flexible plastic material, which hollows on the inside to improve its adjustability. It is covered with nylon foam-backed fabric from outside.
The dress form stands tall and proud from a stable tripod stand. Due to its full life-like shoulders, it is perfect for trying half-finished garments with pinned-on-sleeves.
Nothing feels better than working with your own body double, right? Now imagine having a 100% chance of getting a perfect fit; this is what this dress form aims to provide.
- Back length adjustment
- Metal tripod stand
- Grey brushed nylon fabric with foam lamination
Whether you are making clothes for yourself or someone else, this male dress form by Adjustoform is the perfect way to achieve a professional look and a perfect fit for garments.
Best Child Dress Form
8. Dritz 20000 Little Miss My Double Dressform, Child size
- Comes with a pin hem marker for accurate and even hems
- Foam-backed nylon cover for easy pinning and marking
- Sturdy tripod base folds for compact storage
- A bit shaky
- Dials are really hard
The Dritz 20000 Little Double Dress form is an example of a child-size dress form. Specifically, it is designed for making clothes for children between the ages of 6 and 10.
This adjustable dress form is popular among seamstresses and moms who sew garments for children. Additionally, it offers four proportioned body types you can choose from for a perfect fit.
It is also worth noting that it comes in fuchsia with a foam-backed nylon cover that allows for easy marking and pinning.
Also, it features a pin marker for accurate marking, an adjustable back waist length, a neck with pincushion, and a tripod stand for compact storage.
- Fuchsia in color
- Materials: Fabric, plastic, metal
- Child size 6-10 years old
- 12 rotating dial wheels
- Adjustable neck, adjustable height
While this adjustable child dress form Dritz Little Miss My Double is not perfect, it works pretty well. The fact that it’s the only of its kind is yet another reason to give it a shot.
By far, the best adjustable dress form for sewing is the Dritz My Double Deluxe Dress Form. The fact that it is lightweight and adjustable yet durable is a major contributor to it winning this title.
How about you? Which dress form do you like most? Share us in the comment section below.