Whether laying out fabrics or cutting large patterns on a large fabric cutting board, you need a large cutting mat for sewing table that will protect your table and provide a lot of space for your project.Top 5 Large Cutting Mats:
- Rhino Cutting Mat 5’ x 8’
- Sullivans Mat 36" x 59"
- OLFA Mat with Clip 35" x 70"
- Dahle Cutting Mat 36" x 48"
While smaller cutting mats are great for tackling quilting and other different craft projects, they cannot provide enough space and protection needed by dressmakers, tailors, graphic, and sign professionals.
Hence the need to select a large cutting mat to save time and provide enough space to tackle different craft projects without the need to fold your material to fit the mat.
However, finding the best large cutting mat can be a challenge since there are a plethora of these mats on the market, and they vary greatly in stickiness, durability, quality, and price, among other factors.
In this post, we have gathered some of the best large cutting mats in the market in the review below, so you don’t have to try out your luck by going with any random product that comes your way.
Best Large Cutting Mats For Quilting & Dressmaking
If you’re looking for the best large cutting mat for quilting, dressmaking, graphic and sign projects, or large cutting tasks, we’ve got you all covered!
We have gathered some of the best large cutting mats in the market, and we will analyses each product in the review below to help you select the one that suits your needs.
1 – Martelli 30″ x 60″ Extra Large Self-Healing Cutting Sewing Mat
First on our list is the 30″ x 60″ Cutting Mat from Martelli – a company that specializes in the production of innovative, high-quality tools for quilters and sewers.
This Martelli cutting mat features a commercial grade material that makes it durable enough to handle any cutting task you throw at it. The mat self-heals and comes with 60 and 45-degree angles and concentric squares to square up your blocks.
The mat comes with a double-sided feature with contrasting color on both sides. One side of the mat is purple (which is great for cutting light-colored fabric), the other side is yellow (which is perfect for darker fabric) – this makes it one of the best large cutting mats for quilting and sewing tasks.
The 30″ x 60″ size allows you to cut a full yard of fabric without the need to fold the fabric to fit the mat. Also, the mat has the metric measurements printed along its center axis and edges, so there’ll be no need to worry about covering up the measurement with your rulers or fabric.
- 30″ x 60″ size with 28″ x 58″ measurements on the mat
- Self-healing mat with 60 and 45-degree angles and concentric squares
- Double-sided with contrasting color on each side
- Color: Purple on one side and yellow on the other side
- Weight: 6 lbs.
- 1/8″ thick
- Easy to read measuring grid on both sides
- Large enough to handle any cutting task
- A bit expensive
If you’re looking for an extra-large rotary cutting mat for your sewing or quilting task, then this Martelli cutting mat might be perfect for you. The mat is very easy to use, super durable, large enough to handle your cutting needs, and comes with clear marking on a neat and easily noticeable surface.
2 – Rhino 5’x8′ Extra Large Self-Healing Cutting Mat with Grid Sheet
Rhino is another high-quality brand that is known for its line of excellent super-size self-healing cutting mats and custom size cutting mats that are geared towards sign shops, printers, sign makers, framers, photographers as well as quilters, and dressmakers.
One of Rhino’s wonderful offering is the 5’x8′ cutting mat – which is the largest self-healing cutting mat on our list and probably one of the largest cutting mats you can find out there.
This Rhino cutting mat is translucent, which means that you can stay on top of your craft project and get an accurate measurement every time from the grid lines. The mat has a thickness of 3/16″; it self-heals, and aids in straight cuts – this makes it the best cutting mat for graphic and sign professionals and other big projects.
It is also perfect for framers, photographers, sewers, and quilters as it is suitable for both straight blade knives and rotary cutters. The mat lay down flat and comes with a separate grid sheet underlay for easy measurement.
- 5’x8′ size
- Self-healing mat (suitable for both straight blade knives and rotary cutters)
- Color: Translucent, pearl white color with non-glare surface
- No offensive smell
- Attaches easily to your worktable with double-stick tape
- Weight: 48 lbs.
- 3/16″ thick
- Thick and durable
- Aids straighter cuts
- Extra-large mat (ideal for commercial applications)
- No angular measurements
This Rhino cutting mat is a giant and durable self-healing mat that is suitable for commercial use. If you’re looking for a heavy-duty mat to handle big projects or work simultaneously on various projects, then this is it.
3 – Sullivans 36″x59″ Large Cutting Mat for Home Hobby Table
Next on our list is the tabletop cutting mat from Sullivans. This product has received nothing but praise from the majority of its users due to its excellent performance. The mat has a dimension of 36″ x 59″ which is big enough to protect your tabletop or home hobby table and offer you enough space to tackle any cutting task.
Although this mat has no self-healing property, it features a high-quality low-density polyethylene construction that can withstand any type of cut. It has a 33″ x 56″ gridded surface, 45° angular measurement, and its grid layout is simple and easy to read.
Also, the mat comes with yardage numbers, and these numbers are placed on the outside of the mat, so you won’t have to worry about covering them up with your materials while you cut.
- 36″ x 59″ size mat with 33″ x 56″ gridded surface
- 45° angular measurement with a simple grid layout
- Numbers are printed on the outside of the mat
- Color: White
- Weight: 6 lbs.
- 1/8″ thick
- Thick and durable
- Simple grid layout for easy measurement
- No self-healing property
If you’re on a tight budget and you’re looking for the best cutting mat for sewing tables, then the Sullivans 36’’ x 59’’ cutting mat is for you. It is thick, large, easy to use, lays down flat, and will fit perfectly on top of any home hobby table.
4 – OLFA 35″ x 70″ Continuous Grid Rotary Cutting Mat
The OLFA rotary cutting mat is another perfect mat for quilting, sewing, and scrapbooking. The mat features three 23″ x 35″ mats that clip together to form a large rotary cutting mat that measures 35″ x70″ – a size that is perfect for the seamstress and larger projects.
The mats are 1.5 mm thick and made from high-quality self-healing material that provides a smooth and durable surface to handle any rotary cutting task.
The mat is double-sided with yellow grid lines on one side for detailed cutting and solid green color on the other side for general crafting. What’s more, is that the mat is easy to store as you can easily remove the clips to detach the mats and arrange them in convenient storage size.
- Three 23″ x 35″ size mat with four clips to create a larger cutting surface of 33″ x 70″
- Eight bias diagonals with ¼ hash marks on all the four sides
- Double-sided mat with accurate yellow grid line on one side for detailed cutting
- Self-healing finish with a smooth surface
- Color: Green
- Weight: 8 lbs.
- 1.5 mm thick
- Easy to clean and store
- Functional mat with easy to see grid lines
- From our survey, some customers complained about the clip getting in the way
This Olfa rotary cutting mat provides a good value with its versatility, durability, precise measurement markings, and double-sided features, and convenient storage. These excellent features made it one of the best large rotary cutting mats for quilters, sewers, and craft professionals.
5 – Dahle Vantage 36″ x 48″ Large Self-Healing Cutting Mat
If you’re looking for a cheap self-healing cutting mat that promises to provide all the protection you need for every cutting task you carry out on your work table, then you should consider the Vantage 36″ x 48″ Self-Healing from Dahle.
This mat is 1/8″ thick and features five layers of high-quality PVC construction, so you won’t have to worry about your mat wearing out anytime soon.
The mat comes with 34″ x 46″ screened metric, inch, and angled measurements (45⁰ and 60⁰ grid lines) for easy sizing and has a total size of 36″ x 48″ which is enough to handle most cutting projects.
Apart from its large size, it is self-healing, and you can use it on both sides; this makes it one of the most versatile large cutting mats for sewing, crafting, and cropping photos.
- 36″ x 48″ size mat with 34″ x 46″ screened measurement grid for easy sizing
- PVC construction protects work surface
- Double-sided mat with a five-layer design for maximum durability
- Self-healing finish with screened ½” grid for easy alignment
- Color: Black (also available in transparent and blue color options)
- Weight: 0.65 lbs.
- 1/8″ thick
- Easy to use and clean (easily washable)
- Has five-layer thickness for superior durability
- Versatile and affordable
- From our survey, some customers complained about its visibility while cutting dark fabrics
This Dahle Vantage Self-Healing Cutting Mat provides a good value with its versatility, easy washability, superior durability, precise measurement markings, and double-sided features. At its price point, this is one of the best large cutting mats for sewing, crafting, and cropping photos that you can find out there.
6 – Megamat Translucent Cutting Mat 40″ x 72″
The Sewfit Megamat Translucent Cutting Mat is another perfect mat for sewing, quilting, craft cutting, and scrapbooking. The mat features a 40″ x 72″ size, which is large enough to handle both small and large projects.
It is translucent and comes with accurate gridded surface and angular measurements that are simple and easy to read, so getting precise measurements is easy as a breeze.
This Megamat self-healing cutting mat is made from a high-quality and pinnable material that makes it durable enough to withstand rigorous use. It features a sanded finish, which helps to prevent your fabric from moving while you’re working on it.
The mat is flexible and easy to roll yet sturdy and perfect for rotary cutting. Also, the mat is self-healing, so it will remain as new even after undergoing a lot of use.
- 40″ x 72″ size mat with easy to read 36″ x 68″ gridded surface and angular measurement for easy sizing
- Quality pinnable construction
- Flexible and easy to roll
- Self-healing with a sanded finish to prevent your fabric from slipping off your table
- Color: Translucent
- Weight: 15 lbs.
- Pinnable and easy to use
- Easy to store since it is flexible and roll-able
If you’re looking for a large pinnable cutting mat for your sewing and craft projects, then this Megamat self-healing cutting mat is perfect for you. From our survey, this mat is flexible, durable, and has received nothing but praises from its users so far.
7 – Dritz 890 Superboard Large Cutting Board 39-3/4 x 72-Inch
The 890 Superboard Durable Kraft Board from Dritz is another affordable, high-quality and easy to use cutting board that is designed to make your sewing projects easy and fun.
This large cutting board for sewing comes in a 39-3/4″ x 72″ and features a durable Kraft board that converts any flat surface into your work area. The board is pinnable; this allows you to pin your project for easy operation without worrying about scratching your worktable.
The Superboard is foldable, which helps to save space and store when it’s not in use. It comes with clear markings that include scallop and circle patterns, as well as accurate metric and inch measurements to lay out your cutting pattern precisely. However, the board is made of cardboard, so a rotary cutter can damage it.
- 39-3/4″ x 72″ size board foldable to 12″ x 39-3/4″
- Clear markings with scallop and circle patterns and metric and inch measurements
- Transform any flat surface to a work area
- Durable Kraft board with metric equivalency chart
- Color: White
- Weight: 1 lb.
- 1/4″ thick
- Pinnable, foldable and easy to store
- Visible markings
- Scallop and circle patterns for curved projects
- A rotary cutter can damage it
If you’re looking for a durable, pinnable, folding cutting board for sewing, then the 890 Superboard Durable Kraft Board from Dritz is your best way to go. Apart from the fact that the board is made cardboard, which can get damaged by a rotary cutter, it performs well and is perfect for laying out your quilt pattern.
8 – US Art Supply 36″ x 48″ Professional Self-Healing Cutting Mat
The last but not the least is the Professional Self-Healing Cutting Mat from US Art Supply. This cheap self-healing cutting mat is geared towards crafters who need a durable and reliable self-healing cutting mat but are on a tight budget.
This 3 mm thick mat features a 5-layered PVC construction along with its self-healing feature that makes it last real long while providing efficient protection for your work surface. The mat has a non-glare surface, which makes it easy to clean and a non-slip surface that helps to hold your workpiece in place for a perfect and accurate cut.
The mat comes with 45° and 60° guides as well as 1/8″ marks and ½” grid lines for precise alignment. The mat is double-sided and has the same grid measurement on both sides, which means you have two mats for the price of one. It also has lines for cutting diagonals and will serve you well even as other expensive products do.
- 36″ x 48″ size mat with lines for cutting diagonals
- Self-healing and double-sided with grid measurements on both sides
- 45° and 60° guides as well as 1/8″ marks and ½” grid lines for precise alignment
- Durable 5-layered PVC construction
- Color: Pink (also available in blue color option)
- Weight: 10 lbs.
- 3 mm thick
- Thick and durable
- Visible markings for easy alignment
- Long-lasting and easy to clean
- Heavy and not easy to store
The US Art Supply 36’’ x 48’’ Professional Self-Healing Cutting Mat is perfect for people who are looking to get both large and small projects done. It is offered at the best price for a table-sized cutting mat, and this makes it a perfect choice for crafters and professionals who are on a tight budget.
How to Store a Super Large Cutting Mat?
Whether you’re a craft enthusiast, or a professional sewer or quitter, having a large cutting mat for tables or workstations is an important investment that will impact the quality of your work.
However, storing a large cutting mat can be a real challenge due to its size. To protect your investment, retain the quality of your work and keep your super large cutting mat functional and in good condition, here are some safe storage ideas you can follow.
- Slide it under your bed. If your mat is not larger than your bed, you can slip it under it to keep it flat and prevent wrapping.
- Slide the mat behind a piece of furniture that is large enough to keep it flat against the wall.
- If your mat is foldable or detachable, fold or detach it to reduce the size and store on a flat surface.
- Keep the mat out of the way by hanging it on your wall or behind your door
- If you own a formal dining table, you can hide your mat by laying it flat on the table and cover it up with your table cover. Make sure you place a piece of soft fabric beneath the mat to protect your table.
- The best way to store a super large mat is by laying it down flat away from heat or sunlight.
- Extremely cold temperatures can make your mat to become brittle, so storing it in a temperature-controlled environment is your best option. (You should take note of this if you need to transport your mat during the winter).
- Do not stand the mat up or leave it bending and unsupported. Standing up the mat or leaving it bending and unsupported can make it crack or permanently misshape it, and this will negatively impact the accuracy of your cuts.
- Do not roll your mat (especially when it is not absolutely necessary). You can re-flatten your mat, but it may take longer to achieve that, and that can be an issue if you need to reuse it urgently.
We hope this review has shown you an array of the best large cutting mat for quilting, sewing, and crafting that are available in the market today. While there are many other large cutting mats on the market, we recommend the products mentioned above for quilters, sewers, and craft professionals due to their easy to use, accuracy visible markings, durability, and performance.
Now that you’ve learned about the features, strengths, and weaknesses of the best large cutting mats on the market today, its high time you considered your options and selected one that meets your specific needs.
If you need help finding the right one for you or choosing the ideal mat for your projects, feel free to contact us as we are always available to help.